Current:Home > StocksJapan’s court recognizes more victims of Minamata mercury poisoning and awards them compensation -Blueprint Money Mastery
Japan’s court recognizes more victims of Minamata mercury poisoning and awards them compensation
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:31:44
TOKYO (AP) — A Japanese court on Wednesday ordered the central government, the Kumamoto prefecture and a chemical company to recognize more than 120 plaintiffs as patients of the decades-old Minamata mercury poisoning and pay compensation they have been denied because they developed symptoms after moving away from the region.
The Osaka District Court recognized all 128 plaintiffs as Minamata disease victims and ordered the government, Kumamoto and Chisso Corp., which is held responsible for the pollution, to pay 2.75 million yen ($18,400) each, according to officials and media reports.
The plaintiffs, in their 50s and 80s, were living in Kumamoto and nearby Kagoshima at the time of the mercury poisoning and later moved to Osaka and elsewhere in western Japan. They filed a lawsuit in 2014, saying they were unfairly excluded from a 2009 compensation. They had demanded 4.5 million yen ($30,170) each, according to their lawyers.
In the ruling, Judge Yuki Tatsuno said the plaintiffs were presumed to have consumed fish tainted with mercury at levels high enough to develop the disease as children before moving away from the region. Their symptoms, including numbness of the limbs, were typical of the mercury poisoning and cannot be explained by any other cause, the ruling said.
“I’m so happy that the court made a fair decision,” said Yoshie Maeda, a 74-year-old who now lives in Osaka.
Yoshiyuki Tokui, a lawyer, praised the ruling as “epoch-making and one that will significantly push forward relief measures for Minamata disease.”
Minamata disease, first diagnosed in 1956, was later linked to the consumption of seafood from the Minamata Bay on Japan’s southern main island of Kyushu, where Chisso dumped mercury compounds.
It is one of Japan’s worst environmental disasters and became an international symbol of environmental damage and corruption behind Japan’s rise to economic prominence.
The central government had argued that there was no evidence to prove the plaintiffs suffered from Minamata disease.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno told reporters that the government will take appropriate measures to improve medical, welfare and community support.
Wednesday’s ruling is the first of several similar lawsuits also filed in Tokyo and Kumamoto, as well as Niigata in northern Japan, on behalf of about 1,700 people.
A 2004 Supreme Court ruling held the government responsible for allowing the pollution to continue for years after its discovery, prompting renewed calls for the government to expand the scope of support.
Under the special law for a new relief program that took effect in 2009, about 38,000 people became eligible for one-time payment or medical benefits, but nearly 9,700 people were rejected on grounds of age and place of residence. So far, only about 3,000 people have been officially certified as Minamata patients.
veryGood! (916)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Mexico's president slams U.S. spying after 28 Sinaloa cartel members charged, including sons of El Chapo
- Ulta 24-Hour Flash Sale: Take 50% Off Ariana Grande's R.E.M. Beauty, Lancôme, Urban Decay, and More
- Whistleblower tells Congress that Facebook products harm kids and democracy
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- U.S. border officials record 25% jump in migrant crossings in March amid concerns of larger influx
- Apple will soon sell you parts and tools to fix your own iPhone or Mac at home
- Oscars 2023: See Brendan Fraser's Sons Support Dad During Rare Red Carpet Interview
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- All These Viral, Must-See Moments From the 2023 Award Season Deserve Their Own Trophy
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Cindy McCain on her drive to fight hunger
- Meryl Streep Takes Center Stage in Only Murders in the Building Season 3 Teaser
- Oscars 2023: Colin Farrell and 13-Year-Old Son Henry Twin on Red Carpet
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- An Anti-Vaccine Book Tops Amazon's COVID Search Results. Lawmakers Call Foul
- Heidi Klum Wows in Yellow Dress at Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscars 2023 Party
- Senators Want An Investigation Of How Amazon Treats Its Pregnant Workers
Recommendation
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Emily in Paris' Lucien Laviscount Teases Alfie's Season 4 Fate
You can now ask Google to scrub images of minors from its search results
Put Down That PS5 And Pick Up Your Switch For The Pixelated Pleasures Of 'Eastward'
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
You Can Scrap The Password For Your Microsoft Account And Sign In With An App
How Jimmy Kimmel Addressed Will Smith's Oscars Slap During 2023 Ceremony
U.S. indicts 2 men behind major ransomware attacks